Movies, Games, Film Making and More

Friday, August 15, 2014

On 3:41 AM by Jepster in , ,    No comments


Now you may have read my previous post regarding the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) and it may have looked like that I was really on the verge of acquiring it. But after analyzing my pros and cons (like lens compatibility with my Canon EOS mounted set) I decided to go for the Cinema Camera.




This review is neither scientific nor am I an expert when it comes to scientific camera terms. So why should you read my review? As a wedding videographer, image quality and camera usage is a huge part of my craft. This review will be based on how I will be using the camera for my projects.

What's in the Box?

The Package comes with the following items:
Cinema Camera (of course)
Power Adapter (aka Charger)
Licensed Copy of Davinci Resolve + USB Dongle
Sunshade
Manuals

Image Quality Tests 

So after opening the box, I seriously had to shoot some footage. So I decided to get a Solid State Drive a few days before getting the camera. And here is my first video shot with the camera.


5X5:First BMCC RAW video test. from Jepster Togle Films on Vimeo.

The entire video was shot on RAW, and it's my first time working around Davinci Resolve with RAW footage. I say, I'm pretty happy with the results, but I'm pretty sure I could do more with the amount of Dynamic Range (13 stops) this camera has. I decided to take it again for a spin this time outdoors and with a Glidecam.



Winners' Sunset: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Test Film from Jepster Togle Films on Vimeo.

Now that's more like it. After a dozen Davinci Resolve Tutorials on the internet and a lot of fidgeting with the camera, I believe I got a better grasp of playing around with the camera and the dynamic range. To be honest, the camera is really heavy and using it with the glidecam without a vest is really a test of strength on my part. It's really heavy. I can't even stress that enough unless you guys try it yourselves.

 But of course, the tests don't stop there. What if I tested the camera in low light? And what better subject than my favorite test subject, one of our Dogs, Ben.


Being Ben: Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera Low Light Test from Jepster Togle Films on Vimeo.

Not bad right? Shot in prores on ISO 1600 with only the streetlamp as the light, the range of the camera is unbelievable. And with a little bit of noise reduction, the image quality is still highly useable.

Now, it's time to take the camera out for a stroll. Not just outside but out of town!

See you in Tagaytay: A BMCC FILM by Jepster Togle from Jepster Togle Films on Vimeo.

So what do you think about the image quality? For me, no doubt the camera is amazing. It delivers on amazing image quality and no doubt it's a huge asset for film makers. But our next question is, "Will it work for me?"

Usability and Ergonomics (Is it reliable?)

 To be honest, the camera without any rig is so weird to carry around. It doesn't have handles like a DSLR or even Canon's Cinema Line cameras do. And that doesn't help with it's weight. So it's best to get a rig but that will push your budget higher around PHP15k-45k. 

Aside from that, the camera isn't built for run and gun shoots. During my Tagaytay shoot, I was really keeping my shots short since I have no idea when I'll run out of space on my SSD. Also, another issue with the camera is not being able to delete footage. Blackmagic does have their reasons for not giving that option for their cameras, but as a run and gun shooter like myself, that is quite a problem.

But in contrast with those issues, they trained me to become more specific with my shots. It gave me more discipline in doing the right exposure and choosing the right shot. In short, I got the hang of making sure that every shot I make count.

Another issue I've noticed is battery life. Man, does this camera have a short battery life. I would understand probably because of the high processing it does. But not having a replaceable battery in case it goes low or run out is a major downside. But there are a lot of solutions like an external battery pack and pinch. It may add to your budget for around PHP15-22k. But once you have that battery pack, you're going to have a thrill ride shooting at your hearts content.

Storage

Shooting in RAW is like being a VIP during an event. You've got so many other cameras that can give you great footage, but having to shoot Cinema DNG takes you miles further from what DSLRs can offer. The dynamic range is extremely high that over and underexposed shots will be useable if graded properly. No doubt about it, you will be spoiled and shooting RAW starts to become a priority for you. Except for one thing.

RAW is heavy on data. The price of having so much color data is that you get of course I larger file (or files in the manner of how RAW is recorded on the BMCC). Based on my shoots, I've estimated that 1 minute of footage in Raw is equal to 8GB. So for a 240GB SSD, that's already 30 minutes of footage.

Of course, as a wedding videographer, 30 minutes is basically half of the ceremony already. So shooting RAW is out of the question. How about Prores? Probably 5 times less data than RAW footage which would be around 2-3 hours for a 240GB SSD. For a wedding shoot, that still doesn't seem enough. For weddings, we usually eat up 100-200GB on a H.264 format and that's for the entire day from morning until the end of reception.

Conclusion

The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera is a great camera. The output it produces is amazing and truly in a league of its own compared to DSLRs. But that's the thing: if you're a huge fan of the DSLR's compact form and portability, having a BMCC is going to rock your world. Rock your world in a sense that you'll realize it's incredibly head scratching if you don't know what you're getting into. I myself did a ton of research before getting the camera. But even that didn't prepare me on what this camera has to offer.

CONS:
  • No love handles like DSLRs so it's not the type of camera you'd carry around and shoot your vacation videos.
  • Not too stealthy that security guards will surely wonder if you're holding a camera or cute squarebox
  • Short battery life. Requires another accessory or external battery.
  • With a full rig, you may need to cancel your gym membership. Carrying this around is enough weight to build those biceps and triceps
  • If you're short on storage space, this will eat up your storage like a kid devouring ice cream during a kiddie party.
  • LCD Display is like an iPad without any anti-glare cover. If you lack the budget for a mirror for your actors while on set, don't fret. The BMCCs screen can take care of that for you.

PROS:
  • Incredible image quality beyond anything in its price range.  If you haven't fallen in love, with this, you will.
  • 2.5K RAW resolution recording. Great for downsizing to 1080p. Oh and also great for creating internet resolution photographs for each frame.
  • 1080p Prores
  • 13 stops of Dynamic Range
  • Supports Canon EF Lenses for the EF Mount version. (with the latest firmware, autofocus is now supported)
  • Very good built
  • Comes with Davinci Resolve software. The most awesome color grading software that's even being used in Hollywood.
  • Beautiful Box and packaging. Great container for other stuff you don't use. :P
  • You look like a Pro! Kidding of course. But you can actually ask for a higher professional rate. Just make a comparison video between the BMCC and a DSLR and your clients will surely see the difference. 

FINAL THOUGHTS

All in all, the camera isn't for everyone. It all depends what your primary clientele are and what your project demands. If you're shooting in a more controlled environment, the BMCC is a great addition to your arsenal. In fact, in my opinion, the BMCC is a must have weapon in your armory. With the RAW format and Davinci Resolve combination, you're bound to create great stuff with it. That's if you actually know what you're doing.

For events and run and gun situations, the BMCC could work. But a lot of accessories maybe necessary for it to actually give you the mobility and portability you need. 

Would I recommend this camera to my colleagues in the wedding videography industry? For image quality, definitely. For mobility and portability? No. But it all boils down if you can manage all the downsides of the camera by spending more on some items to solve those issues.

All in all a great camera and truly revolutionary. Any enthusiast of shooting video/film should definitely give this camera a try.





0 comments:

Post a Comment